peperonity.net
Welcome, guest. You are not logged in.
Log in or join for free!
 
Stay logged in
Forgot login details?

Login
Stay logged in

For free!
Get started!

Text page


c d a
arsenal.fans.peperonity.net

Arsenal Stadium

For most of their time in south-
east London, Arsenal played at
the Manor Ground in Plumstead,
apart from a three-year period
at the nearbyInvicta Ground
between 1890 and 1893. The
Manor Ground was initially just a
field, until the club installed
stands andterracing for their
first Football League match in
September 1893. They played
their home games there for the
next twenty years (with two
exceptions in the 1894–95
season), until the move to north
London in 1913.
Widely referred to as Highbury,
Arsenal Stadium was the club's
home from September 1913 until
May 2006. The original stadium
was designed by the renowned
football architectArchibald
Leitch, and had a design common
to many football grounds in the
UK at the time, with a single
covered stand and three open-
air banks of terracing.The
entire stadium was given a
massive overhaul in the 1930s:
newArt Deco West and East
stands were constructed,
opening in 1932 and 1936
respectively, and a roof was
added to the North Bank
terrace, which was bombed
during the Second World War and
not restored until 1954.

Highbury could hold over 60,000
spectators at its peak, and had
a capacity of 57,000 until the
early 1990s. TheTaylor Report
and Premier League regulations
obliged Arsenal to convert
Highbury to anall-seater stadium
in time for the 1993–94 season,
thus reducing the capacity to
38,419 seated spectators.
This capacity had to be reduced
further during Champions
League matches to
accommodate additional
advertising boards, so much so
that for two seasons, from 1998
to 2000, Arsenal played
Champions League home
matches at Wembley, which
could house more than 70,000
spectators.
Expansion of Highbury was
restricted because the East
Stand had been designated as a
Grade IIlisted building and the
other three stands were close
to residential properties. These limitations prevented the
club from maximising matchday
revenue during the 1990s and
first decade of the 21st
century, putting them in danger
of being left behind in the
football boom of that time. After considering various
options, in 2000 Arsenal
proposed building a new 60,361-
capacity stadium at Ashburton
Grove, since renamed the
Emirates Stadium, about 500
metres south-west of Highbury.
The project was initially
delayed by red tape and rising
costs, and construction was
completed in July 2006, in time
for the start of the 2006–07
season. The stadium was
named after its sponsors, the
airline companyEmirates, with
whom the club signed the largest
sponsorship deal in English
football history, worth around
£100 million; some fans
referred to the ground as
Ashburton Grove, or the Grove,
as they did not agree with
corporate sponsorship of
stadium names.
The stadium
will be officially known as
Emirates Stadium until at least
2012, and the airline will be the
club's shirt sponsor until the end
of the 2013–14 season;From
the start of the 2010–11 season
on, the stands of the stadium
have been officially known as
North Bank, East Stand, West
Stand and Clock end.

Arsenal's players train at the
Shenley Training Centre in
Hertfordshire, a purpose-built
facility which opened in 1999. Before that the club used
facilities on a nearby site owned
by theUniversity College of
London Students' Union
. Until 1961 they had trained at
Highbury. Arsenal's Academy
under-18 teams play their home
matches at Shenley, while the
reserves play their games at
Underhill, home of Barnet.


This page:




Help/FAQ | Terms | Imprint
Home People Pictures Videos Sites Blogs Chat
Top
.